Honey Stinger logo

Honey Stinger logo
Honey Stinger

Thursday, March 8, 2018

Delano Park 12 Hour Run 2018

A Return to Delano


What a Long Strange Trip It's Been

After this year's run at the Delano 12 Hour, I took the opportunity to go back and add up the years and miles that I've ran in this historical park in Decatur, Alabama.  The park was established in 1887, and was later named after President Franklin Delano Roosevelt's mother. I wasn't on hand for the ribbon cutting.

I've always opted for the 12 hour solo run.  However, a 50 mile solo and Relay Team option are offered. I first toed the line in 2009, and have ran it 6 times since.  I've amassed 324 miles to date, with a PR of 58 miles - that was the year, in 2016, when I won the Master's division.

2018 was a stellar year at Delano with 32 State records set by 30 runners!  I wonder if that is a State record for a race to have garnered that many records on a single day? The list of record setting runners is available on the Delano Park 12 Hour Run Face Book page. Alas, I was not one of the record setters, but it was a privilege to share the track with so many fantastic runners.

I'm in the midst of training for the Lake Martin 100 mile run, later this month. However, I'm a little concerned.  I racked up 54 miles this year at Delano, but I definitely faded.  I hit 31 miles under 6 hours, but only added 23 miles over the next 6 hours. There was nothing consistent about my running.

However, enough about me, a very sad and horrible story must be told.  If you are faint of heart, I would suggest you stop reading this report now.

The Story of DeWayne Satterfield

If you are somewhat familiar with this story and feel I am beating a dead horse, you’re right. It pretty  much is the story of a dead horse - a Stallion of a runner who left us too early, only to return.


I don't actually recall the year, because I did my best to erase it from my memory.  You probably have heard the story; the legendary DeWayne Satterfield came across the finish line at Delano, only to lay down and pass away -- next to a feminine looking cooler.

His family was distraught.  They came to me looking for answers.  They asked if there was anyway to bring DeWayne back.  They said, they knew I was aware of something called a Pet Sematary, where animals and people could be buried, only to come back to life. I told them they were referring to a Stephen King novel and movie, and that it was pure fiction.  They said, Shar, you know it is for real.  I told them, it is true ....but sometimes, dead is better.

They would not listen to reason, and I gave in.  I threw DeWayne's stinking body over my shoulder and I headed to the Pet Sematary. To be respectful of the dead, DeWayne's stinking body was not due to death, but he'd just ran well over 60 miles - runner's staunch.

(If it were only fiction)

I buried DeWayne in what the Native Americans knew was poison soil, due to a failed Auburn University agricultural project that had gone wrong.

As I waited and visited the site over the next few days, the inevitable happened.  I saw a hand reaching through the rocks.  I grabbed DeWayne's hand and pulled him up.  He smiled, and said, Hey Shar, thanks for bringing me back from the dead.  At that moment, he lunged at me and attempted to stick two fingers into my eyes -- Three Stooges style. I quickly lifted my hand between my nose and forehead in a defensive move to avert the eye poke. 

However, at that moment, I knew DeWayne would never be the same. His family and friends would soon know the truth of the Pet Sematary.

-finis-
(or is it?)



No comments:

Post a Comment