Honey Stinger logo

Honey Stinger logo
Honey Stinger

Thursday, February 1, 2018

Mountain Mist 50K 2018

Mountain Mist 50K
&
The Huntsville Track Club's Grand Slam


Mountain Mist 50K

In the past, I've given an aid station to aid station description of Mountain Mist.  If you're interested in that, you can go back and read my previous Mountain Mist blogs.  But this year, I'm going to just hit the highs and the lows of this year's race.  

I felt really good when the race started, and fell into a steady pace. As usual I fell 3 times, but none of the falls were serious, and I just popped up and kept going.

Actually, my falls were kind of weird.  I got tripped up twice on Powerline, by vines that were stretched across the trail, kind of like trip wires.  My second fall happened on the way up to the Fern aid station, but amazingly, I didn't fall on the second half of the course, which is way more technical.  Go figure.

While I felt I was running well, the truth of the matter is, I must have been running at a slower pace than I realized.  I made it to the Fern aid station with 23 minutes to spare.  After making my way down Bluffline, I made it to the Land Trust aid station with 18 minutes to spare.  However, as I was running down Bluffline the memory of my first Mountain Mist came streaming back. I recall coming across an elderly lady with a floppy hat, she extended a bony finger and said, "The hardest part lies ahead." I kept running, and as I looked back, she was gone.  I DNF'd that year at the top of Waterline.

I knew I had to keep pushing it.  I couldn't shake the memory of that DNF. Along the way, I came across my fellow Grand Slammer, Mitch Tiffany.  For what ever reason, Mitch and I had not connected on any of our previous races.  So, Mitch was behind me going down the Alms House trail, heading toward Waterline.  He was explaining to another runner that he was involved with Ainsley's Angels (AA).  AA is an organization that focuses on the special needs community, and AA Ambassadors push special needs individuals through races to give them the experience of the race.  Mitch explained that the first time he "pushed" was at the Marine Corps Marathon.  I've seen Ainsley Angels at some of our local races and it always brings a smile to my face to see these kids, and young adults enjoying a race.

I made it to the top of Waterline, and over to the Burritt aid station with 15 minutes to spare.  By the way, Mitch passed me and finished the race 6 minutes ahead of me. 

As I was running across slush mile, a bit of controversy ensued.  Why I always get wrapped up into these kinds of things, I'll never know.  I heard Suzanne Erickson call my name from the other side of the McKay Hollow trail.  The year before, I'd been dealing with a terrible case of back spasms that I couldn't shake.  I was overly medicated heading into the race, and on slush mile, I was overtaken by Suzanne, Casey Fritz and their gang.

I didn't want that to happen this year, so I picked up my pace. However, along the way, I came across a group of Mountain bikers.  I said, "About a mile behind me, you will see a group of ladies running in pink shirts.  If you can, slow down and see if you can help them out.  Now, Suzanne says, when she came across the Bikers, they said, I told them to "take them out." First of all I would never do anything like that.  Do I look like a Tonya Harding?  I don't think so. If anything, I was the Nancy Kerrigan in this scenario -- the innocent victim.

Anyway, I wound crossing the finish line, and racked up my 9th Mountain Mist finish, and my 5th Grand Slam. Suzanne and Casey were hot on my heels.  I've got to up my game for next year, I don't want to cut it close when I go for my 10 year jacket.   

 (Finishing my 9th Mountain Mist. The final leg of the Grand Slam.)

(Picture of the 2018 Grand Slammers prior to the start of Mountain Mist - missing a few people.)


(Running on a trail during the Dizzy 50K.  The first leg of the Grand Slam.)

(Running at the Rocket City Marathon. The second leg of the Grand Slam.)

 (Running at the Recover from the Holidays 50K. The third leg of the Grand Slam)

Finally, and most importantly, none of these races could take place without dedicated Race Directors and volunteers.  Thanks to Ryan Chaffin for directing the Dizzy 50K.  Thanks to Suzanne and Dink Taylor for directing the Rocket City Marathon and the Mountain Mist 50K.  Thanks to Christy and Tony Scott for directing the Recover from the Holidays 50K.  Thanks to Casey Fritz for coordinating the HTC Grand Slam.  Each of these races come with their own set of challenges, and this group of RDs do a fantastic job.

No comments:

Post a Comment