Honey Stinger logo

Honey Stinger logo
Honey Stinger

Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Hobbs Island 10K! Always a Good Time.

Hobbs Island 10K 

The Hobbs Island 10K is quickly becoming one of my favorite races.  It's wedged between the Turkey Trot 5K on Thanksgiving morning, and the Rocket City Marathon, two weeks later.  It seems the 10K distance is becoming an endangered species in the running community, giving way to a plethora of 5Ks.  That's why this race is all the more special.  My friend Martin Schneekloth is the Race Director; he transformed the Huntsville Track Club's (HTC) scholarship fundraiser into a new distance. I recall, in the past, it was an 8K.  The race also has a new location. It's been moved from Downtown Huntsville, to Ditto Landing, on the Tennessee River. Martin may have had some help with the distance and location from the Track Club, but nonetheless, the outcome is one great race.  It's going on its 3rd year.  

I've ran each of the three years.  The course changed after the first year, due to some conflicts with the Huntsville Police Department.  I think it was a public safety issue. Sections of the race were run on roads that were not closed off, this caused the HPD to have understandable concerns. Also, I recall there was a staffing issue.  Given that the race falls on a Holiday weekend, I think it was straining HPD resources.   

Anyway, it all worked out for the best.  While the HPD still supports the race, it doesn't require as much manpower and the new course is flat and fast.  However, I can't explain how my course PR was set on the old course which had a sizable climb about halfway through.  I'll chalk it up to younger legs.


(Early into the race.)

It's a incredibly scenic race, taking you down and back on the Aldridge Creek Greenway and then circling by the Tennessee River.  I couldn't appreciate all of the views, because I was sucking wind for most of the race.

Somewhere around mile 4, I got my second wind and had negative splits for miles 5 and 6. Although it was a cold start, I'm glad I ditched my jacket before the start of the race.  Many runners dressed for the cold start, and I think they started melting around mile 3. I've learned the hard way that it's better to freeze at the start of a race, rather than overdressing and turning your clothes into a mini sauna.


(Crossing the finish line, with this nice couple.  They kind of made me feel bad because they were racing with hydration packs on, and I still could not seem to pass them. :/ )

One great aspect of  Hobbs Island is to be able to hang out at the finish line and congratulate runners as they cross the line.  If you haven't given this race a shot, I would highly recommend it.  It's well organized and the door prizes are over the top.

I've never received one. Hint, Hint.


My Times

2015: 48:16:00
2016: 51:16:67 (too much Thanksgiving leftovers)
2017: 48:46:07 (30 seconds off my PR)
                

No comments:

Post a Comment