Honey Stinger logo

Honey Stinger logo
Honey Stinger

Monday, March 6, 2017

1 Wedding, 2 Runs and no Funeral

Enjoying the Sites of Mobile, AL
A Trip South
This past weekend, I traveled to Mobile to attend my niece, Amelia's wedding. My Mom came along with me.  At 85, Mom is still sharp as a tack, but her body has started to turn on her.  After several back surgeries and a partial hip replacement, Mom uses a walker to get around.  So, we took our time, but had a nice trip as we made our way from the top of Alabama all the way down I-65 to the Azalea City, of Mobile.
After we checked into our hotel and I got my Mom over to the rehearsal, I took the opportunity to go for a run through town.  I knew the route from our hotel to the church, where the wedding would take place, so I headed in that direction.  The route took me down historic Dauphin, Street, where there are a variety of restaurants and bars.  There were still signs of the Mardi Gras parade that had taken place earlier in the week -- strands of beads could still be seen scattered along the sidewalk and street.

When I reached the church, Dauphin Way United Methodist, I crossed the street and headed back. The sun was going down and various lights of the city were beginning to shine.  As I made my way up Dauphin St., I decided to swing through Bienville Square and see the fountain, that by this time was all in lights.  The Square was named in honor of the founder of Mobile, Jean-Baptiste Le Moyne, Sieur de Bienville.

So, it will come as no surprise to those that know me that the inevitable was about to happen.  As I exited the Square, I got turned around and after running up and down several streets trying to find my way back to my hotel, I finally had to walk into the downtown Police Station, and ask directions back to the Hampton Suites.  My 4 mile run turned into a 6 mile run.  But hey, it was a beautiful night, in a beautiful city.


(Stock photo of Bienville Square Fountain)

After I got back to the hotel, I showered and decided to go out for a bite.  My Mom was at the rehearsal dinner, and so I had some time on my hands.  I asked the lady at the desk for a recommendation for the best place for a burger and a beer in walking distance.  She said the LoDa Biergarten had the best burgers in town and had over 40 beers on tap and 100 plus beers in bottles. Now, I don't eat red meat often, but when I do, it has to count.  This place did not disappoint.  I highly recommend it.

When I arrived I sat at the bar, ordered a Good People IPA, and struck up a conversation with a guy from Virginia, who traveled all over the East Coast repairing Coast Guard helicopters. When I worked in Washington, DC, I knew a couple of guys that flew MH-65 Dolphins for the Coast Guard, so we had a lot to talk about.

I was also sitting in front of a sign that highlighted their Moon Pie Burger. Although very tempting, I had to pass on it.




(I took a picture of the LoDa Biergarten the next day.)


(I had to throw in a picture of an MH-65 Dolphin because I think they're cool.)


The morning of the wedding, I headed out on a short run.  I ran down to Fort Conde.  It's a partial replica of the old French Fort.  When I was high school, the state Key Club convention was in Mobile. One of the Key Club "sweethearts" and I slipped out of the convention and walked down to Fort Conde. We held hands.  It was a tender moment.  Years later, I ran into her in a grocery store. The snow was falling; it was Christmas Eve.  I stood behind her in the frozen foods and I touched her on the sleeve.  She didn't recognize the face at first, but then her eyes flew open wide.  She went to hug me and she spilled her purse and we laughed until we cried.



(Fort Conde, complete with 1700's fire hydrant)


I ran back down Dauphin St. and passed the original Wintzell's Oyster House.  No offense to the other locations, but nothing beats the original.


 The Wedding

The wedding took place at 5:30, Saturday evening, and it was a lovely ceremony.  Amelia wed Josh Rabbit.  A young man who has just completed dental school, and as I understand it, will be going into pediatric dentistry.  I think the future will be bright for this wonderful couple, and a pediatric dentist named Dr. Rabbit will surely be a hit with little kids.

The reception was held at the Carnival Museum. It highlighted Mobile's rich Mardi Gras history.  The band consisted of a bunch of guys dressed in Elvis jumpsuits, wearing afro wigs.  Great look.  Good band.

It was a great weekend, and if you have a chance to run through the streets of downtown Mobile, I'm sure you will really enjoy it.  Again, it is a beautiful city, with very nice people -- and if you get lost, the police will point you in the right direction. :)

 


No comments:

Post a Comment